Thursday, September 24, 2009

Simple Beans

This is how I prepare beans. I eat them like this, or use them as a base for many of my soups or dips. With this recipe, you can make TONS AND TONS (you can double, triple quadruple...), divvy it out into 2-4 cup portions and freeze to use later. They last for months in the freezer, and have become my 'fast food' option! :)

2 c. beans (any kind)
Water (a LOT. I never measure. I just pour it in. Maybe 8 cups?)
1 Bay leaf
1 whole, peeled onion
3-4 whole, peeled garlic cloves
1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
(or Canola Oil--the oil keeps the beans from foaming too much and boiling over.)

Rinse and clean beans. Pour beans in large pot and add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then put on Low for around 5 hours. Add salt or chicken boullion to taste right before serving. Voila! :)

As you can see, I don't presoak my beans. I also don't do the quick soak. I just cook them straight from dry and eat them. For many people, this doesn't agree with their 'systems'. If you prefer to soak them overnight, just soak them, rinse, then cook for 2 hours. If you prefer a quick soak, just boil them for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and let sit for about 1 hour. Rinse, then cook for 2 more hours. To me, this is a pain in the neck, so I just let them sit and cook, and it works for us. Lazy? Yes. Still yummy? Yes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment